Is it time to remove the existing Big Data packages from Fedora?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:27:38 UTC 2015

So the discussion about Spark has revealed:

1) the Big Data community doesn't trust the Fedora packages

2) it seems a consensus that the realities of the Big Data ecosystem
don't work very well with making packages for Fedora

3) result of 2, move towards newer (Docker) style of making Big Data
available on Fedora, perhaps with a side benefit of it then also being
possible to have it available on RHEL.

Should we then also have a discussion, or just do it, of removing the
existing packages from Fedora 23?

The packages that are there are now in some cases at least several
versions out of date, which isn't doing either Fedora or the Big Data
SIG any favours.

Additionally, if we do create Docker images they offer the possibility
of creating bug/error opportunities if a user somehow brings an rpm
package into the Docker image.

To use the now favourite term, do we "reboot" the Big Data SIG and
start fresh?

Thoughts?