Board/Project Governance

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Sep 13 12:28:23 UTC 2013

Le mercredi 11 septembre 2013 à 11:41 -0400, Máirín Duffy a écrit :

> The board doesn't have any authority to step in and fix things when they
> are broken, in the case that the members are actually of the same mind
> as to what to do. Instead, they can politely ask people to do things,
> but have no authority to actually tell them to do it, kind of akin to
> Milton standing in a crowded conference room asking quietly if someone
> could please give back his red stapler.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHZBmF8mk4
>
> I like to get things done, and make things happen, and that is not
> something that I felt happened enough when I was on the board.

But  that's a good thing that being on the board do not give you more
power, just more responsibility.

This way, you can do what you want without being elected.

Now, I can see that lots of people do not really get this and how much
freedom is given to them, since this is in total contradiction with most
organization, where you need to ask before doing anything.

The board is a advisory board, so it is here to give advice, nothing
more, nothing less. If people want to be given order or direction, then
I can give "do what you want to do", and if they do not want, then I
have a specific set of request i would be happy to have someone working
for me :)

--
Michael Scherer