Board/Project Governance

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 19:12:51 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM, inode0  wrote:
>> We are all well aware of who owns the trademarks and who can do
>> whatever they want with them. That doesn't mean the Fedora Project
>> would not be better served by Red Hat legal and the Fedora Board
>> working together to better protect the trademarks and to allow their
>> use in ways consistent with our branding efforts. It is not a
>> requirement, but it is a good thing.
>
> Sure.  My point  is that it doesn't really change the nature of these
> discussions and  that it doesn't require as many board members and more
> transparency would be helpful

Correct and I said I was open to having a different community group
fashioned to fill this role. But that will require Red Hat legal to
agree to the construction and obligation of that group and to modify
the Fedora Trademark Guidelines before that can happen. I also am not
entirely sure that is worth doing unless other Board responsibilties
are moved elsewhere and the Board is abolished. There have been cases
while I've been on the Board where I think having that many people
thinking about it was useful in avoiding a hasty approval.

John