[Fedora Board issue tracker] #182: GNOME 3.12 pushes Google and other commercial, non-FOSS "apps" at users

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 10 15:29:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:07:45AM -0400, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> So...  hmmm... Very good questions here.  My gut tells me that
> Wordpress.com is okay (built on the open source Wordpress), Etherpad is
> good, I believe there is a commercial hosting of OwnCloud somewhere.
> > Would lwn.net be considered a non-free web service?
> I thin kthat this, and similar, sites would be okay since they forward our
> cause to FOSS. There is no UI (no service provided which appears to be the
> purpose of the webapps in GNOME) so it more of a consumable and not SaaS.

What about sites that are not open source but promote open content? Flickr
comes to mind as a big Creative Commons backer. And Bandcamp. Or, Stack
Exchange — all content is CC-BY-SA. And, of course, there's GitHub.

>From the point of view of advancing a wider agenda, I'd be interested in
taking <http://tosdr.org/> into account. But it's probably not time to talk
about that yet. :)

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"