External websites and Fedora's Foundations

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 11 14:28:57 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 09:01 AM, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 09:42:02AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> ... Therefore, I'd like to appeal
>>>
>>> to our Friends foundation. I hope we can find a middle ground instead of
>>> staking out extreme positions.
>>

>> Coming to the middle, I'd like to suggest what I suggested in yesterday's
>> meeting (which was completely ignored).
>>
>> Gnome could use a menu in the 'All Settings' menu that would allow users
>> to add their own links as well as add some predefined links (such as Google
>> apps and Facebook).  These would be disabled by default but the user could
>> easily activate them and include them on their system.
>

> It wasn't ignored. In fact, that was close to what I had suggested too, and
> I was (and am) in favor of it.  However, it seemed us 2 were the only ones
> in favor it, and at least 2 explicitly mentioning being against that (iirc)

I agree it wasn't ignored.  Reading back in the logs, however, doesn't
show anyone explicitly against it.  There was some discussion on
opt-in vs. opt-out, but the specific suggestion wasn't voted on.
Considering the thing we did vote on is more abstract and broadly
applicable, and this is an implementation detail of the UI, I don't
think it required a Board vote.  It's a fine suggestion to pass along
though.

> In the spirit of Matthew's post, something that I appealed for in the
> meeting was that each board member try to outline as best the could what
> positions they could support as well as those they could not.  Given
> something like that, one can try to formulate something that has a chance of
> getting some semblance of consensus support/approval.  Worst case, it would
> help identify that there is not any potential to reach a consensus.

The difficulty I have doing this is determining positions on what?
Position on FOSS in general? (that's probably unhelpful)  Position on
linking to non-FOSS webapps/web services?  Position on opt-in/opt-out
of linking to aforementioned items?

I'd be happy to express a position on something if I knew exactly what
I was expressing a position on.  This is why I was hoping we could
vote on the motion Stephen Gallagher presented yesterday, as it
presented a very specific question.  However, that vote was cancelled.

josh