The Forgotten "F": A Tale of Fedora's Foundations

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 21 20:35:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Lately, I've been thinking a lot about Fedora's Foundations: "Freedom,
>> Friends, Features, First", particularly in relation to some very
>> sticky questions about where certain things fit (such as third-party
>> repositories, free and non-free web services, etc.)
>
> Sure but also understand that no matter what precise words are written
> down on a piece of paper at a given point in time they will suffer
> from sticky questions over time as the world we fit into changes.

This is a good insight.

I think the problem I have with this well-intentioned thread is that
it's a broad reaction to a specific issue we're trying to sort out
right now.  Webapps aren't new, the fact that a large portion of them
aren't FOSS isn't new, and their usage in and interoperability with
Fedora is not new.  The "new" item here is displaying them as options
in the software center.

I think it's a fair question to address whether or not displaying
non-Free web applications in the software center (or other similar
applications) is within our Foundations.  I don't think we need to add
an entirely new Foundation or significantly reword the existing ones
in order to answer that question.  A statement from the Board on this
seems perfectly reasonable.

josh