kernel-modules in the buildsystem (Was: Re: Stuff to look for in plague 0.4)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 08:34:45 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
>>For other packages I agree. Kernel-modules should be a exception IMHO.
>

> I worry that having them as the exception means we have to do the code
> anyway which makes it a slippery-damn-slope to all packages using
> arbitrary defines.

I don't buy the slippery slope argument here.  Kernel is really the only
messy case where you can have multiple versions installed
simultaneously.  There are also no other valid cases where what is
installed does not necessarily match what is running.

> why doesn't it automatically build for whatever the highest installed
> kernel-devel or highest installed kernel package is?

The default spec "uname -r" makes it so a user can easily build it
against their currently running kernel.  This is desirable to easily
support users who use custom kernels.  For everyone else we provide
packages against the official released kernels.  It is very desirable to
be able to build both of these cases from the same SRPM without
modification.

Defining only kver in the build environment is a simple and elegant way
of supporting both of these requirements.  It also makes it much
possible to automate kernel module rebuilds when a new kernel is released.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com