Some mock ideas

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 15:51:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 01:22 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> 1) Instead of including config files in the base mock package, put them
> in mock-config-<distro>-<distro version> packages so that mock configs
> are easy to add via packages.

Well, it's easy enough to add more via packages now, there's just an
included base set that's considered "sane".  The question of sticking
them in foo-release came up, but doing it that way means lots of back
ones being included.

> (Corollary: use alternatives for default.cfg)

Just ew.  Realistically, I think that you almost always want to specify.
default.cfg is mostly a crutch ;)

> 2) Include the buildgroups data in the config packages. There could also
> be a /etc/httpd/conf.d/buildgroups.conf file in the base package that
> would point to the buildgroup data in /usr/share/mock.

What's bought by this?  Less dependency on the network?  Although you
still need to download the packages from somewhere.  Note that if this
was done, no need to use httpd -- just use a file:/// baseurl

> 3) Make mock use yum as a module. That way you wouldn't need to invoke
> yum as an external program and you could have more-fine-grained control
> over it.

You have to invoke as a separate program for fun with privilege
escalation.  Note that we do now exec mock-yum which imports yum
directly, so we can make tweaks there.  eg, I want to look at changing
the db macros to what we use in anaconda as I think that could make
chroot building faster.

Jeremy