Patch to store user info in different DB engines

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 14:50:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 19:39 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Chris Weyl wrote:
> >
> > Gotcha.  I think you're right...  just trying to keep the future 0.4
> > -> 0.5 migration pain at a lower level than 0.3 -> 0.4.  :)
> >
> >                        -Chris
> >

> Yeah, I agree with that; I hate to break stuff with a version
> upgrade.  But personally I think that may be the best solution
> instead of creating a bunch of workarounds to keep older setups
> working.  I guess that ultimately it's up to Dan - so, what do you
> think? :)

So here's my take...  I think unified database is fine, but we do need
to provide an easy migration path IMHO.  Whether that's just a one-off
tool that does transfer the users for you, or whatever, I think that
would save people quite a bit of pain later.

On the other hand, I don't think it would be _that_ much work to pull
job and user data from different databases, but that strikes me as more
clutter in the code for little obvious benefit...

So my vote is for consolidating databases for 0.5, and providing a small
tool to migrate for you.  Anyone want to do that tool? :)

Dan