Security issue: Can't build mediawiki - F7 thinks it's F8

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Aug 6 20:15:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 11:22:02AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:06:25 +0200
> Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
>
> > It's just something to think about whether this is wanted at all -
> > with the current Fedora release cycles it doesn't hurt to add a new
> > arch to devel only. But if koji is used for RHEL or other longer-cycle
> > products not being able to add an arch for a released product (or
> > having to rebuild everything for all other arches as well due to
> > artificial release bumps) could become an issue.
>
> In RHEL at least we'd want to rebuild the package anyway.  You can't
> come along 4 months or 2 years later to request that another arch be
> done of that build, unless you can generate a repodata set that matched
> the original repodata set and all the original used packages to build
> your package 4 months or 2 years ago.  Buildroot content changes over
> time and you don't want 3 of your arches using one set of build tools
> and your new arch using potentially vastly different ones.

RHEL is quite different and already equipped to do builds in fixed
environments like for customer requested RHEL X update Y
states. Furthermore RHEL is not update happy, certainly not in
comparison to Fedora, so 4 months or 2 years usually still means the
same API/ABI (short of the kernel, of course).

But I was told in the interim that the pain of the past of adding
archs to released RHELs hardened the RHEL engineering teem enough to
fence off any such future requests. ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net