troubleshooting a build failure under mock

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Mon Feb 26 17:40:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 09:58:54AM -0700, Anthony Joseph Seward wrote:
> Here are the build attempts:
>
>   Target: SL 4.4
>     (gcc 3.4, g77)
>     Native build: OK
>     Mock build:
>       FC 6 host: OK
>       SL 4.4 host: OK
>
>   Target: FC 6
>     (gcc 4.1, gfortran)
>     Native build: OK
>     Mock build:
>       FC 6 host: OK
>       SL 4.4 host: FAIL: internal compiler error using gfortran
>
> This leads me to believe that there is a problem with mock, but I have
> no idea where to look.

I tend to doubt that it would be a mock problem. It is more likely a problem where the libc/other_random_component on SL4.4 is expecting a kernel feature that is present on SL4.4 but not FC6. I ran into something similar where (IIRC) < FC3 host could not build packages for >=FC6 target because the FC6 libc was expecting a certain kernel feature not enabled on FC3.

This, afaict, is the only hole in the mock process: that we still rely on the host kernel. If the target build is relying on some kernel feature that can change from kernel to kernel, you are stuck. Something that cannot be avoided, though.

You might instrument the build to get an strace of what is going on when you get the internal compiler error.
--
Michael