[RFC] mock release plans

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue Jun 12 19:35:43 UTC 2007

All,
   It has been a bit since we have done a mock release and a lot has
happened. This email is to serve as a sync-point so that everybody is on
the same page regarding the release.

Background information:
    Clark has done a lot of work to get a public git repository and
project page set up. All that info is here:

Trac Project page: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/mock
Gitweb: http://git.fedoraproject.org/?p=hosted/mock;a=summary
mock git repository:
    git clone git://git.fedoraproject.org/git/hosted/mock mock

Proposal #1: branch policy
    We currently have no branch policy in place, nor a branch strategy.
To rectify this, Clark and I propose the following branch policy:

    -- Branches will be created on an as-required basis.
    -- as-required means that there is a consensus that we need one (as
     defined by current project maintainers)

Corollary:
    -- we will not use branches as a developer communication tool. If
anybody has patches that need to be merged, use one of the following
methods:
        -- post to mailing list for import by 'git am'
        -- post publicly-accessible git repository that can be pulled by
           one fo the maintainers.

Proposal #2: branch cleanup
    In line with the branch policy above, we want the branch list to
look like this:

  $ git branch -r
  origin/HEAD
  origin/master              -- main line of development
  origin/mock-0-6-branch     -- for fixes to historical releases
  origin/mock-experimental-launcher  -- experimental development for
                                        launcher-based mock.

    To that end, here is the current git branch list and the proposed
disposition for each branch:
  origin/HEAD
  origin/master
  origin/mock              -- TO BE REMOVED (mistake)
  origin/mock-0-6-branch
  origin/mock-0-6-jesse    -- TO BE REMOVED (per policy)
  origin/mock-0.6.0-jesse  -- TO BE REMOVED (per policy)
  origin/mock-0.7          -- rename to mock-experimental-launcher
  origin/origin            -- TO BE REMOVED (mistake)

    The branches listed as 'mistake' above were never intended to be
created, but rather were result of various parties learning how git
works. :)  They will be removed. The *-jesse branches will be removed in
favor of communicating using separate repos, where necessary.

Proposal #3: mock 0.7 release
    We are overdue for a release. To that end, I will tag the current
master branch as 0.7 for release. I will push mock 0.7 to rawhide. After
a period of time in rawhide (one week?), I will create a release for
Fedora 7 to push into updates-testing/. Announcements will be sent to
the lists for each of these releases.

We will implement the above after signoff by Clark Williams and Jesse
Keating.

signed-off-by: Michael Brown <mebrown at michaels-house.net>

--
Michael