pungi used to create CD that includes a kickstart file

Martin Steinmann msteinmann at vesbridge.com
Wed Jun 13 01:09:14 UTC 2007

.>
.>
.> Is there a way to tell pungi to put a ks.cfg file into the root of the
>> CD and modify isolinux.cfg?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> --martin

>Good question, and one that I solved by adding a special package and
>directory to the release-notes stuff.
>
>here are the lines from my pungi.conf file:

>relnotedirre = images stylesheet-images ks
>relnotepkgs = fjks fedora-release fedora-release-notes
>
>I make a package which contains a directory: /ks
>which contains all of my kickstart files.
>
>One version of pungi required me to add these lines into /usr/bin/pungi. :(
>
>The idea is that pungi will add the fjks package to the base cdimage.
>and copy the /ks directory to the root of the CD/DVD.
>
>That part works.
>
>You can now add: ks=cdrom:/ks/myks.cfg
>to the boot paramaters for an install.
>
>The release notes ARE NOT copied into the root directory of the
>initrd.img :(
>
>So I have to process that separately for my thumb drive installs.
>
>It goes like this:
>
>partition the thumb drive with two partitions, the first being 13MB and
>the second the remainder of the drive.  Tag the first partition as bootable.
>
># mkfs -t vfat -n "images" /dev/sd?2
>
># mount /dev/sd?2 /mnt
>
># cp /srv/pungi/F7Developer/7/Custom/i386/iso/F-7-i386-DVD.iso /mnt
>
># umount /mnt
>
># dd if=/srv/pungi/F7Developer/7/Custom/i386/os/images/diskboot.img
>of=/dev/sd?1

># Now lets put our kickstart files into the initrd.img
>
>mount /dev/?1 /mnt
>
>rm -fr /tmp/img
>mkdir /tmp/img
>cd /tmp/img
>gunzip -dc /mnt/initrd.img | cpio -icvdmu
># Copy kickstart files
># adjust below as needed (not everyone uses .ks extension)
>mkdir ks
>cp ${KS}/*.ks ks
>cp ${KS}/home* ks
>find . |cpio --quiet -c -o |gzip -9 > ../initrd.img
>cp ../initrd.img /mnt
>cd
># rm -fr /tmp/img
>umount /mnt
>
>Hope that is somewhat readable.
>The trick is the arguments to cpio.
>
>It would be AWSOME if the process that builds the initrd.img would put
>the release-notes there the same way, but they are never seen, so are
>not needed.

It looks like I am trying to do something pungi does not yet support :(.

We are using pungi to build a custom distribution for an appliance, which is what was advertised in the F7 release announcement. Appliances by definition install automatically so that the install is reproducible every time - i.e. we need a kickstart file on the CD.

I don't quite understand why you had to tweak the release note mechanism or even change the initrd.img file. All I would need is a %post section in the manifest file that would allow me to copy the kickstart file into the tree before genisoimage is run. In addition, I need to modify the isolinux.cfg file to add the kickstart kernel parameter. The rest is then done by Anaconda during stage 2.

Has anyone looked at this already?  Or is anyone interested in helping to patch pungi to do this?

--martin