pungi used to create CD that includes a kickstart file

Joel Andres Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 14:20:52 UTC 2007

> While possibly reasonable for one directory, as soon as you make this
> capability, somebody is going to want multiple directories, or directories +
> files, or....

Ok, so we give them the possibility of adding files and directories with
a extras configuration
variable.  In pungi we can split it and that will be the list of
additions to the os/ root.

> I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is already a method in
> place to handle getting extra files/dirs into the tree, and there is even
> more value to having them in package form to be installed on the system as
> well.  I really don't want to support N+ convenience methods for doing the
> same thing as that's code duplication and easy places for bugs to popup, and
> more places to have to change things in the future.

I'm totally with you on this one.  Its just easier (less bugs, less
work, as simple as possible :)
to handle one way of doing stuff.  But I worry about the user :(....
There are some situations where
the current method is a bit cumbersome (Please correct me if I'm wrong
on any of them):

1. lets say I want to put every file that is in a certain package.
Intuitively I add a "/*" to the file variable.
    This includes, not only all the files in my package, but also
includes all the files in the default packages
    (fedora-release fedora-release-notes)
2. Same thing happens if I specify a regular expression.  If I define it
correctly it will find all my files and
    include them,  but it might also find other files from other
packages that I really don't want in the spin.
3. I can also have two packages that define the same path to various
files (crazy hypothetical situation), so
    depending on the order in which they are seen by the doGetRelnotes
function one will overwrite the
    other :( resulting in inconsistent behavior. This, of course, is not
pungis fault but as files and directories
    are in packages it is harder to notice a bug like this.

IMHO its best to keep the process of adding the release notes as it is
and have another function handle the
addition of the directories/files.  Instead of
(getPackages->downloadPackages->Dobuildinstall->doGetRelnote->doPackageorder...)
I would include a getAdditionalfiles step between doGetRelnotes and
doPackageorder.

Just a suggestion
Regards

--