local koji, yum FTP errors randomly on F11

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 21 15:24:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 23:38 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 03/19/2010 05:59 PM, Mike McLean wrote:
> > This is happening at the yum level, so you should be able to replicate
> > outside of koji (or indeed outside of mock).
> >
> I have a half dozen F12 boxes using the same FTP server as a mirror for
> F12 updates. They can pull a hundred updates at a time with no problem.
> When those same boxes were on F11 I would sometimes (rarely) see the
> same FTP 500 Oops error, but I haven't since the move to F12 so I didn't
> think anything of it. Perhaps moving the koji instance to F12 might
> help, but I don't have the time at the moment to upgrade it unless I
> really have to.

 If I'm reading this right, the problem happened with yum downloading on
F11 but not on F12? If so then it was likely "fixed" by the move in
urlgrabber from using python's urilib module to using libcurl.
 IMO the easiest fix is likely to be to move from using ftp to using
http. Or do lots of testing with urlgrabber/urilib against your ftp
server and fix either the client or the server.