Meta buildsys query :)

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Aug 2 14:27:12 UTC 2011

On 08/02/2011 09:14 AM, Jon Stanley wrote:
> We've got 3 or 4 buckets of content that we care about as an OS
> engineering group. First, is the stuff that is on the path to
> production for the current build that we're working on.

This sounds like Fedora's updates repo.

> Second, stuff
> that's released from Red Hat - i.e. whatever exists in RHN channels
> right now.

This sounds like Fedora's release repo that is never changed after
release (but in your case it may change, but that's ok).

> Third, is beta stuff that we get from Red Hat - some of
> which may never see the light of day in prod. We also have our own
> content that we put into each of these.

This sounds like Fedora's updates-testing repo.

> The problem lies in how to maintain these three separate repos,
> considering that when we're working on a build, we continue to get
> errata from Red Hat. For some period of time, we'll just blindly take
> the updates into the next release. But after some certain "freeze"
> point, we cherry pick stuff from the current Red Hat bits. Then
> there's the beta bits that we need to be able to build in the lab, and
> in a worst case scenario (hasn't happened, but I can see where it
> might) we cherry pick from the beta bits to go to prod.
>
> How do people handle this? I don't believe that I'm in a particularly
> unique situation.

I may not be understanding you correctly so please feel free to ignore
me, but your situation sounds very similar to Fedora's workflow. If you
want to automate it you could look into bodhi integration. I have not
gone down that road as I don't have to keep up with that many packages
yet, but you may find it to be a solution for you.