Tag inheritance and "masked" newer builds

Alan Franzoni mailing at franzoni.eu
Wed Jan 19 19:40:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Oliver Falk <oliver at linux-kernel.at> wrote:
> you don't want that. since parent will likely include older libs. eg.
> you build foopkg in parent against libblah-1.0, while in child
> libblah-2.0 exists. and foopkg from parent will - of course - then not
> work in child, because it was built against libblah-1.0, that is not
> available in child...

Such responsibility is handled via the opportune rpm dependencies; it
will be impossible to install my package.

Also, even the current strategy allows such conflicts, e.g.

barpkg-1.0 is tagged  "parent" and depends on foopkg-1.0 which is
tagged "parent" as well.
foopkg-2.0 exists in "child", but there's no barpkg build in child,
but since inheritance exists it will be impossible to install
barpkg-1.0 from the "child" repo even though the build exists.

However, if I say "latest build" and tag child inherits from parent,
I'd always think "the latest available build for such package, either
in parent or in child".  Maybe it may not be the best thing to do in
all cases, but I'd like to know if there's a way to change the default
behaviour.

--
Alan Franzoni