Pungi features - (was: Is pungi the preferred composer for installers?)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 00:48:31 UTC 2011

On 1/19/11 3:50 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno at wolff.to>  wrote:
>> Pungi is what is used for the install images released by the Fedora Project.
>> So for install images it makes sense to use that tool.
>
> Thanks! So we turn to trying to do what I used to do with revisor,
> which I am not sure pungi supports
>
>   - A custom, locally defined comps file -- how is that done for Spins?
> For example, how would you build the server spin based on the files at
> http://dmach.fedorapeople.org/server-spin/ ?

You can, kindof.  You'd have to make sure that pungi only looks at the
comps data you want to provide, and that comps data has to be in one of
the repos you are using (which could just be an empty repo with the
comps data in it).  If you use the "--ignoregroups" option to the repo
command in your kickstart file, pungi won't process any group data from
that particular repo.  This will allow you to use the public Fedora
repos but not the groupdata from them.

>   - Can I copy a kickstart file in the resulting iso?

That is a feature pungi doesn't have yet.  There is an open bug for it,
but no code.

>   - Can I set the syslinux menu? What I normally do is set the defaul
> menu item to use the provided ks...

That feature doesn't exist either.  As a work around (for the last two
items) you can run pungi to gather, createrepo, and run build install
(GCB), then manually modify the syslinux files and put the ks file you
want in place, then run the make iso step of pungi (-I).

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!