rpm build error with 6.1

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Wed May 25 18:30:19 UTC 2011

On 05/21/2011 05:09 PM, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> it seems most of the rpm in 6.1 have the same problems as described in:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/buildsys@lists.fedoraproject.org/msg00741.html

This is not quite the same error output, and we don't really know what
was going on in that earlier thread since the OP never wrote back.
However, my reply is the same as before:

Could be an issue in this particular spec, or could be an issue with the
rpm version in the chroot (e.g. rhbz#56103).

Can you post the spec? Which version of rpm was in the buildroot?

> many src.rpm (i mean many hundreds of packages) in rhel-6.1 when try to
> rebuild in mock gives such an error:
> Executing command: ['bash', '--login', '-c', 'rpmbuild -bs --target i686
> --nodeps builddir/build/SPECS/OpenEXR.spec']
> error: Macro % has illegal name (%define)
> error: Macro % has illegal name (%define)
> error: parse error in expression
> error: /builddir/build/SPECS/OpenEXR.spec:2: parseExpressionBoolean
> returns -1
> error: Macro % has illegal name (%define)
> Building target platforms: i686
> Building for target i686
> Child returncode was: 1
> where the spec contains this line:
> %if 0%{?fedora}>  7 || 0%{?rhel}>= 6
> which seems to good to me. and such problems don't happened with 6.0.

If this is really the culprit, then it is probably an rpm bug (for the
version of rpm in the chroot, not the build host) similar to 56103. If
you really think this is it, then you should be able to create a very
simple spec that reproduces the error.