how to speed up mock

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Thu Jun 14 15:57:01 UTC 2012

On 06/14/2012 05:34 PM, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On 06/14/2012 03:26 PM, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> On 05/30/2012 10:48 AM, Paul Howarth wrote:
>>> Are you using the tmpfs plugin? That improves things significantly if
>>> you can spare the RAM. Here's the mock config options I use:
>>>
>>> config_opts['plugin_conf']['tmpfs_enable'] = True
>>> config_opts['plugin_conf']['tmpfs_opts']['required_ram_mb'] = 4096
>>> config_opts['plugin_conf']['tmpfs_opts']['max_fs_size'] = '2048m'
>>
>> could you or someone explain me what does the:
>> - required_ram_mb
>
> The build machine must have at least that much RAM to use the tmpfs plugin.
>
>> - max_fs_size
>
> Limit for the size of the filesystem used for that instance's chroot. So
> if your buildroot for a given package exceeds that size, the build will
> fail. The default is half the system RAM I believe.
>
>> means?
>>
>> and what these value mean if i run two mock build with different
>> configuration file? ie the above values are mock global or mock instant
>> local values?
>
> If you have configurations with different 'required_ram_mb' values, one
> of those will run on a host with less memory than the other.
>
> If you have multiple mock instances running together, each one would
> have its own tmpfs instance and you could end up using as much RAM as
> the sum of the 'max_fs_size' value for each concurrently-running instance.
>
> That's my understanding anyway.

thanks.

to translate into to my setup. if i've 24gb ram in the compile machine, than
- i've to set required_ram_mb=24576 or somewhere around ~24000 (probably
in the site-defaults.cfg, since there is no reason to put into the
configuration files).
- and the sum of each concurrent running running mock instance's
max_fs_size must be less then required_ram_mb?