koji's mergerepos does not consider epoch tag

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 00:48:15 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 12:07 PM, Atanas Zhelev wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 04, 2015 06:08:28 AM Mike McLean wrote:
>> On 01/30/2015 02:05 PM, Atanas Zhelev wrote:
>>> i'm using external repository with various vendor supplied rpm's in koji.
>>> One of those rpm's had it's versioning schema changed and it uses epoch
>>> tag now. After regeneration of the build tags koji does not see the new
>>> package. It looks like mergerepos ignores the epoch tag. The "old" rpm
>>> which actually has a higher version number if epoch is not considered is
>>> included instead. Can you offer any advice?
>>> Thanks
>>
>> There is nowhere in koji where newer-nvr automatically wins. This would
>> make it impossible to perform many overrides by tagging. Instead the
>> winner (within koji tags at least) is determined my depth in inheritance
>> chain and how recently the build was tagged.
>>
>> Also, all builds are handled as a unit, so you will never see mixing of
>> subpackages from two different versions of the same build, even if
>> newest NVR might indicate otherwise.
>>
>> When koji merges an external repo it tries to be consistent with the the
>> its behavior in the non-external-repo case. In particular,
>>
>> * koji's package block list is honored by mergerepos
>> * rpms in the external repo are grouped by their srpm and treated as a
>> unit when filtering/merging
>> * only one srpm nvr per package is kept
>> * for packages existing /only/ in the external repo, e:nvr ordering is
>> followed
>> * content within koji trumps the external repo content
>>

> Hi Mike,
>
> in my case the packages in question exists /only/ in the external repository
> and nowhere else. There are no srpms of these packages.
>
> I have:
> foo-2012.06.23-1.rpm  /no epoch tag/
> foo-1.8-1.rpm /epoch = 1/
>
> The repo metadata after koji has merged the external repository contains
> foo-2012.06.23-1.rpm while i would expect that foo-1.8-1.rpm is in.

In addition to koji content trumping external repo content, the external
repos trump each other based on priority when there is more than one
external repo. Perhaps you should just adjust the priorities of your
external repos.

Unfortunately it looks like edit-external-repo cannot do this, so you'll
want to remove it from the tag and re-add it with a different priority.
Note that the lower number == higher priority (like with nice).