[rpkg] A new format for 'sources' files

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 20 03:55:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 19:21 -0500, Mike McLean wrote:
> On 02/16/2015 10:33 PM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > As part of the move away from MD5 for the source files hashes in the lookaside
> > cache, we have decided to change the format of the 'sources' files, so it
> > includes the hash type, to make it easier to identify which hash was used.
> >
> > We agreed on using the BSD-style format, as returned on Linux by passing the
> > extra --tag option to commands like md5sum, sha512sumn, etc.
> >
> > In addition, we decided to forbid mixing hash types in a single sources file,
> > forcing maintainers to use `fedpkg new-sources` the first time they upload an
> > additional source file.
>
> are these changes backwards compatible?

I always get confused with the meaning of "backwards" vs "forward"
compatible, so let me state both. :)

Older rpkg will not work with files in the new format, they will just
raise exceptions trying to read them.

However, after being patched, rpkg still will be able to read files in
the old format. In fact, that's how files get converted to the new
format.

Does that answer your question?

--
Mathieu