Performance increase for Koji builders

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Sun May 31 19:50:23 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 03:41 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MS> The performance increase is huge and I believe Koji can do the same.
>
> I have always done my local mock builds in tmpfs and indeed the
> performance increase is huge.  There were, however, odd problems in the
> past with tmpfs not supporting some necessary features (like
> capabilities, I think) which would get in the way of using it for
> everything.  I don't know if that's solved now, and particularly if it's
> solved on whatever OS our builders run currently.

Also, some builders do not necessarily have a lot of ram. Some
buildroots are large, some sources are extremely large (e.g. texlive).
If we do this, it will need to be configurable, probably per-package or
per-tag.

from https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt
> size:      The limit of allocated bytes for this tmpfs instance. The
>            default is half of your physical RAM without swap. If you
>            oversize your tmpfs instances the machine will deadlock
>            since the OOM handler will not be able to free that memory.

"machine will deadlock" does not sound promising

Note that it should be possible to enable the tmpfs plugin in
default.cfg on koji builders if folks want to play around with this. The
mock configs that koji writes do not say anything about the tmpfs plugin.