Kickstarting CampusAmb

Sun Apr 4 06:07:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Suchakra <suchakra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ya, so coming to the point, I agree with Ryan on almost all points
> stated by him especially the one that local LUGs are dominated by
> Ubuntu users. Even in my campus, we have just had a local Ubuntu
> mirror up and working, but people have 2 take fedora discs and ISOs
> from me physically. The reason is simple - No proper introduction to
> the other distributions of linux to budding linux users. It makes one
> believe that Ubuntu is Linux and Linux is Ubuntu. Also in order to
> increase the fedora footprint, and encouraging technically sound guys
> (we have lots of them in our college) to contribute to the project, we
> need to have events and talks, be it on a small scale or large scale.

Are the students in your college already involved in contributing to
FOSS ? Instead of sharply focusing on "Fedora" or, "Ubuntu" it might
be good to begin with pointing to them good upstream participation
practices. For example, a session that discusses the relevant bits of
The Open Source Way and, Producing Open Source Software so as to make
the best bits a part of the story.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>