We Need Change

sai ganesh ganesai at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 12 08:34:33 UTC 2010

hi guys,
           just a formal introduction .i became an ambassador just a month
ago.My name is saiganesh <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ganesai> a.k.a
sai from India.i have been seeing how things are working around in fedora.i
would like to suggest a few ideas for the campus ambassador program.unlike
the fedora ambassador program ,the campus-ambassador program must be unique
because we spread the Foss culture among the future generations of the
world.also i want a clear distinction between fedora ambassador and fedora
campus ambassador program.
the things i noted where
                                 1.Being a fedora ambassador means just you
have to spread the Foss culture in around your city.But campus ambassador
program is different, we spread the Foss ideas to students who in turn
return back by contributing to them(Foss).so what i essentially say is that
the idea of having a tech talk per semester will workout.but that is not
enough.Clearly introducing the students to these Foss culture say For just
one time per semester alone is not enough.what happens when they are stuck
in a problem . These things are new to them.you may say mailing lists are
there .But it takes time for new users to adapt themselves to Foss  kind of
environment.so why cant we have a Fedora Activity day one per semester
consisting of tech talks and introduction to Foss  . Followed by ,say 4
weeks of  discussions on Sundays, we have our own LUG's.If someone is
inspired on the fedora activity day .He or she tries the Foss technologies
that week if he faces problems that week ,then the discussions group on
Sunday can clear them out.
                                2.The discussion groups is not only for
problem solving.it also essentially consist of  discussion of fedora
activities,new Foss technology, etc.i strongly recommend these groups also
be funded.Because if someone is facing a problem and someone from the same
college/university is there who can help out ,then it is going to help a lot
in spreading Fedora and Foss.
it is not going to be the heavy budget though. say $5 or $4 at the maximum
that is going to cost for the purpose of printing posters , banners etc.this
way we can easily spread the word in our colleges.
                              3.we can have yearly meet for the ambassadors
of the same country where in they can discuss the future planning etc..

                              4.the campus-ambassadors(students)  who prove
their worth  in general can get some internship in Redhat or say even
Discounts for Redhat GLS.

                              5.we need more often to discuss these sort of
ideas in the mailing lists  and IRC.

guys please feel free to comment.share your thoughts.

--
s.saiganesh
“The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do