[Ambassadors] We Need Change

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:19:18 UTC 2010

First, stop cross posting.

> the things i noted where
>                                  1.Being a fedora ambassador means just you
> have to spread the Foss culture in around your city.
Definitely a wrong assumption.
We do not limit the ambassadors about what they are going to do.
If you are comfortable within the campus, we have no problem as long
as you are doing it well.

> But campus ambassador
> program is different, we spread the Foss ideas to students who in turn
> return back by contributing to them(Foss).
Another wrong assumption is people other than students does not
contribute back. They indeed do.

>so what i essentially say is that
> the idea of having a tech talk per semester will workout.but that is not
> enough.Clearly introducing the students to these Foss culture say For just
> one time per semester alone is not enough.what happens when they are stuck
> in a problem . These things are new to them.you may say mailing lists are
> there .But it takes time for new users to adapt themselves to Foss  kind of
> environment.so why cant we have a Fedora Activity day one per semester
> consisting of tech talks and introduction to Foss  .

Why indeed? Who in the world has told you that you can not have  one/a
couple of Fedora Activity Days / semester?

>                                 2.The discussion groups is not only for
> problem solving.it also essentially consist of  discussion of fedora
> activities,new Foss technology, etc.i strongly recommend these groups also
> be funded.Because if someone is facing a problem and someone from the same
> college/university is there who can help out ,then it is going to help a lot
> in spreading Fedora and Foss.
> it is not going to be the heavy budget though. say $5 or $4 at the maximum
> that is going to cost for the purpose of printing posters , banners etc.this
> way we can easily spread the word in our colleges.

You can always request stuff at https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-india/
as long as you are clear about why you need that and you submit the
bills.

>                               3.we can have yearly meet for the ambassadors
> of the same country where in they can discuss the future planning etc..

This is a costly idea. :)
However, in case there be FUDCon, the above requirement will certainly
be satisfied.

>                               4.the campus-ambassadors(students)  who prove
> their worth  in general can get some internship in Redhat or say even
> Discounts for Redhat GLS.

That is not something we can comment on.
But just to clarify, here in India, we don't want a repeatation of sun
campuss ambassadors.

> 5.we need more often to discuss these sort of
> ideas in the mailing lists  and IRC.

Sure, but have a look at the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
Thanks.