Linuxtage @ ETH Zurich

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Mon Nov 8 19:20:16 UTC 2010

Hi all.

I just want to join up the Campus Ambassadors as that's exactly what I
am already doing for a while now.

For those who do not know me yet, I am working at the ETH in Zurich
and am (together with red_alert) responsible for the Linux deployment
infrastructure. We have already ported about 500 studroom PCs to
Fedora this summer which was a great success.

Together with theAlternative (a group of students who are interested
in digital sustainability), we are organizing an bi-yearly event
called Linuxtage where students can join up and are getting help in
installing Linux:

http://www.project21.ch/projekte/thealternative/linuxtage-hs2010
(mostly in German but a few English notes below)

It consists of an introduction course, two install evenings (one at
the ETHZ and one at the University Zurich) and an advanced course.

Due to the fact that the students already know Fedora now from their
studroom computers they are really interested in having it on their
own computer to.

As it's not really limited even ppl from the region could join the
events (and also do :))

So what's next: I am going to write a blog about the last install days
(and even about some problems we had/have) and try to promote it a bit
more. If it makes sense I could even Link the event on an event page.

We try to streamline it with the Fedora release dates (which does not
always work) but if so we could perhaps even announce it as a "Launch
Party".

--
Greets
Marcus