[FZH] Fwd: Speed up user login into desktop.

Yu Chen jcomee在gmail.com
星期五 八月 20 03:32:41 UTC 2010

哇,systemd 要和 gnome 整合起来。

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lennart Poettering <mzerqung在0pointer.de>
Date: 2010/8/20
Subject: Re: Speed up user login into desktop.
To: Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop <
desktop在lists.fedoraproject.org>

On Thu, 19.08.10 22:32, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg在gmail.com) wrote:

>   On 08/19/2010 10:05 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > In the long run I want to make gnome use systemd for session management,
> > so that the same parallelization techniques we use for system boot can
> > be used for session startup as well.
>
> Are other *DE ( KDE XFCE LXDE Sugar etc ) being kept in the loop so they
> can take advantage of the parallelization techniques ?

Well, I consider myself a GNOME developer, and that's my focus.

systemd is very generic low-level code, so there shouldn't be a
technical barrier for other DEs adopting it too, and I'd welcome this
very much. However, there are certain political issues that will make
adoption by other DEs difficult: for one, systemd is Linux
specific. While in the GNOME world the idea that Linux is the only OS
that matters is kinda popular these days I assume that other
DEs care much more about niche OSes (hey, and KDE even cares about
Windows!).

Also, regardless of the DE there is still that distro with the 3 Us in
its name which is unlikely to adopt systemd. Tying systemd into GNOME
and the other DEs would probably cement what they are already doing:
forking GNOME and maintaining things independently of upstream.

So, in summary, this is something to push forward very carefully, and as
of now neither the technical nor the political preconditions have been
figured out how to do this best.

> What are the plans regarding plymouth since the boot will be so fast?
> ( Feels kinda pointless having any kind of animation during startup )

Well, if people plug more stuff into their boot, run all kinds of inet
servers, and other stuff, or have slower hw/rotating media, or have a
crypto fs plymouth will very much be needed.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.