[FZH] Direction of fedorachinese.org and fedora-zh.org; Re: fedoracommunity.org domain requests outstanding

Caius 'kaio' Chance kaio在fedoraproject.org
星期日 二月 6 09:05:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Gerard Braad <gbraad於fedoraproject.org>
 wrote:

> Hi,
>

> This is a continuation of a discussion on our cn.fedoracommunity.org
> registration.
>
> On 1/24/11, Yuan Yijun <bbbush.yuan於gmail.com> wrote:
> > if used properly, can allow
> > people to post to proper modules, thus provide another way of active
> > collaboration. Got it?
>
> The system used for the page is a CMS and will be taken care of from a
> group perspective. People will have editorial rights to a regional
> part or interest...
>
> For now it is a placeholder to get the cn.fc.o approved. If no steps
> are taken, this request will remain outstanding. This does not serve
> any of us.

fc.o serves as a directory for community people. This does not affect the
popularity of current Chinese communities and their resources. Also, one has
their rights to create parallel Fedora Chinese communities so then they also
have their rights to add the locations of their resources to fc.o.

FZUG is the Chinese community user group with the best connection with
Fedora Project (infrastructure), but there is no implications that any
Fedora Chinese user groups should affiliate FZUG.

> > The fedora-zh.org is blocked by GFW, not long ago. Such event is rare
> > and there are several ways to remedy:
> > * change the IP address.
> > * move to another space
> > * move to the VPS kaio mentioned
> > * move to somewhere sponsored
> > * move to some hosting spaces inside China
>
> At the moment these options are all considered. I got in touch with
> Candis Hosting already as they have a good relationship with people I
> know at the BeijingLUG and ICP license is considered. But I would not
> move all services to this. Why?
>
> Since being of FAmSCo I want to topic about Community Hosting being
> discussed. Hosting some of the stuff on the Fedora Infrastructure will
> give us an increased reliability and contributors are part of the
> project. For smaller communities Fedora should be able to provide a
> simple set of tools to start a community page. I know this involves
> legal issues and a increased load on our Sysadmin team, but I am sure
> we can work something out... just like what we did with the blog
> option for Wordpress.

For the forum situation, all I concern is reliable availability. The forum
is currently still up at fedora-zh.org but not available to visitors from
China because of the IP address. The hosting is sharing a Linux user's
personal blog and the IP is shared with all the customers of the hosting
company. IMHO, we need to have the solutions timely under the following
requirements:

   1. The resources (hosting and domain name) are not under a single person
   or single regional group (city-wise). This is not about control but to
   ensure incidents can be taken care timely when there are more than one
   person or party.

   2. Dedicated IP - it is likely to happen again when we moved to another
   hosting with shared IP.

   3. Minimal management overhead - the current Forum/CMS is not familiar by
   any active and available Chinese contributors of Fedora Project.

> > Hereby I explain why I don't want to reply your last email.
> > First of all, the mailing list is already read-only
>
> This then might have been a misunderstanding. My apologies... but a
> simple explanation would have helped.

I have tested. When I clicked "New Post" it jumps to a page for new post and
there is a button "Send to moderator". I am not sure if there even is a
function to set read-only to a mailing list on google groups or this is
already so-called "read only", we may need to put a message on its home page
that this mailing is read only and no one will be allowed to submit new
post.

Furthermore, I have been requesting the permission for updating the message
on the home page:

“這個郵件列表的交流活動,正逐步遷往官方郵件列表 chinese於lists.fedoraproject.org;”(The communication
of this mailing list is gradually relocated to official mailing list
chinese於lists.fedoraproject.org)

into

”這個郵件列表的交流活動,已經遷到官方郵件列表 chinese於lists.fedoraproject.org;“(The communication
of this mailing list has relocated to official mailing list
chinese於lists.fedoraproject.org)

but no responses ever.

> > an historically important way of communication
> > No more forceful works in the future.
>
> Sometimes a change is needed for new things to happen. I am confident
> fedora-zh will survive as we are all working on it... but we have to
> make sure we can provide new-comers all the information they need or
> even before, information about how they can join. This is currently
> what we are working on. Consolidating all the information we have...

The migration was carried out purely by leadership. I admit the consultation
process with FZUG members has a long way to improve, though the appropriate
manner to treat an historically important asset is to preserve it instead of
stick to it. We can move out to a new place so we can adapt the latest world
and do our best to keep the old place intact for see how we got through.

This may be something FZUG can be worked on, or may be not.

PS: the unavailability of the forum to visitors from China still has not
resolved. Need to act quick.

K410

--
Regards ☺ Caius 'kaio' Chance