[fedora-classroom] Proposal: Learn To Package Week

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Dec 16 20:04:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:06:50 -0500
Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dear Classroom list: Aaron Clark had an idea at this past FUDCon.
>
> http://iwrotecode.blogspot.com/2009/12/future-fudcon-hackfest-request.html
>
> Proposal: Learn To Package Week (New Years' Resolution Special
> Edition), January 4-10, 2010.
>
> One tricky package walkthrough per day, of something we're trying to
> get packaged, hopefully with upstream listening in on the session to
> resolve licensing, etc. issues as they pop in, followed by ~2h of
> "open lab" time where learners can work on their own packages while
> "teaching assistants" lurk in channel.

I think it's pretty difficult to get upstreams interested in joining an
irc packaging session. I could be wrong, but most projects will need to
involve their community in any changes they make, especially licening,
so they may not be able to just make changes right then.

> The big blocker is finding teachers - the reason everybody interested
> in this
> (http://blog.melchua.com/2009/12/07/zikula-hackfest/#comment-3812) so
> far is interested is because we want to be the students - we need to
> learn this stuff ourselves. We're willing to be guinea pigs and do
> the logistical/organizing stuff, but we inherently Can't Teach These
> Classes.
>
> Thoughts? How do we put this together? How do we find people to teach?

well, you could ask on the fedora-devel list for folks, or ask on the
planet in a post?

I'd be happy to help out, but we should also setup a more exacting
schedule. When does this start and end each day? Who is teaching each
day and on what? Or is it more of a workshop than a class?

Just a few thoughts...

kevin