[fedora-classroom] Proposal for classes moving forward

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jun 8 17:48:55 UTC 2009

Greetings folks.

I thought I would write up a concrete proposal about what I think we
should try next for the Classroom and see what people think along with
some outstanding items we need to address.

Proposed:

- Classes Can be taught anytime the room is free and a teacher likes.

- Teachers SHOULD sign up to teach classes 2 weeks in advance of the
  teaching date if possible. This will allow time for students to see
  the class and note if they want to attend. (Not a MUST).

- Classes should be scheduled for 90min blocks.

Now, outstanding items to address:

- Advertising Classes:

1. Ideally I think it would be good to have a RSS Feed of the schedule.
This would allow people to see when new classes are added, etc.
I'm not sure how to do that off hand with the current infrastructure we
have. Anyone have ideas?

2. I think We should ask teachers to mail this list when scheduling a
class, as well as adding it to the wiki.

3. I think we should advertise weekly (what day?) to:
fedoraforum
fedora-list
This email/post can have a list of upcoming classes as well as
pointers/logs to the previous ones.

- Logs/Archiving

1. I have been playing with an irc bot plugin for Fedora irc meetings.
I think we may be able to modify this plugin to also log classes. It
currently does not know how to upload to the wiki, but it can upload
html/txt logs pretty easily. See:
http://www.scrye.com/~kevin/fedora/fedora-meeting/2009/fedora-meeting.2009-06-04-16.33.html
for an example. Do folks think this could be worthwhile? Or is the wiki
a better idea? Ideally it would be nice to make it all seachable too.

2. I think we should move the existing archives off the main classroom
page and off to a previous classroom archive. The main page is getting
very long.

- Scheduling

1. Should we continue to use the wiki to schedule classes? Pros: it's
easy, it's simple, it works. Cons: no way to get a easy calendar view.
With Classes available anytime might get more busy or confusing. If we
don't use the wiki, what can we use? Could we do something that has
ical support?

2. What can we do to get more teachers interested in signing up?

3. Should we do any kind of Vetting on classes/teachers?
ie, that they know what they are talking about, or not teaching
something that has nothing to do with Fedora? I suppose it's easy to
stop that if it becomes a problem.

Thats all I had off the top of my head.

Feedback welcome.
Along with anyone willing to lead any of these parts. :)

kevin