[fedora-classroom] Introductory workshop on GNU autotools

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 05:44:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

I will be conducting an introductory workshop on GNU autotools in
#fedora-classroom on 03 May, 2010 at 13:30 UTC. The aim of the
classroom is to get people started on autotoolizing C code. I will use
an example project and will go through the following:

* Downloading the sample application
* Creating files for the application
  => configure.ac
     -> Initialization
     -> Checks
     -> Output
  => Makefile.am
     -> Build programs
     -> Install additional files
* Generating scripts

Prerequisites for those wanting to attend this:

* Familiarity with make, gcc
* Ensure that autoconf, automake, gcc, make, etc. are installed on your system.
  `yum groupinstall "Development Tools"` ought to get all of it

The session will not be covering autoheader and libtool since:
* The sample I'm using  does not need it
* Those concepts are slightly more advanced and may require more time

In other words, the session is for people who have never worked with
autotools before.

--
Siddhesh Poyarekar
http://siddhesh.in