[fedora-classroom] 3 upcoming Fedora Marketing Classroom sessions

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 20:06:50 UTC 2010

At the Marketing FAD, one thing we agreed on was that (1) we have a lot
to learn, and (2) getting cool people into Fedora Classroom to teach
things so we can document their wisdom for posterity would be totally
rockin'.

Kara Schiltz, Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier, and Sean Daly have all stepped up
with generous offers to run Fedora Classroom sessions on various
Marketing/Brand/PR related topics they have expertises in during the
month of April - so this is a heads-up, a quick way to nail the
scheduling down, and a chance for people to give feedback on the topics
coming up. (Are these what folks are interested in? What would you like
to see/hear? Who would you like to hear from?)

Thanks to Kara, Zonker, and Sean for offering to spend time with us!

--Mel

== Kara: PR workflow demystified ==

Kara: is free in mid-to-late April, so I will propose April 13 (Tuesday)
- if that's not too early in the month. I was thinking either 3-4pm EDT
or 5-6pm EDT on that day so it comes either right before or after our
weekly Marketing meeting - Kara, would that be ok with you? If not, when
would be a good date and time? We're flexible.

Topic: the existing workflow and decisionmaking process around doing PR
for Fedora. How do you choose what audiences to target for what message
about what feature when? Also, what would you like to see for
international PR around Fedora (can you help us articulate a target that
the community can work to hit)?

== Zonker: How to make life awesome for journalists ==

Zonker: April 20 (Tuesday) - he can do anytime between 9am-6pm EDT, but
I'm also going to propose either 3-4pm EDT or 5-6pm EDT for this one.
(Zonker, your pick - and if neither works for you, counterpropose.)

Topic: what does the distro release PR process look like from the
perspective of a journalist, and what are the things we (as a project's
marketing team) can do to make life easier for you (the journalist)?

== Sean:

Sean: Would April 27 (Tuesday) work for you? The timing might be more
difficult because Sean is in France (iirc) and so our normal Marketing
meeting time is quite late in the evening for him. Sean, if 3-4pm EDT
(1900 UTC) on that date would work for you, that would be great - if
not, perhaps immediately after your Sugar Labs marketing meeting, which
I believe would be 16:00 UTC? (If neither works for you, counterpropose.)

Topic: Fedora marketing business case - explore what the targets,
brand values, and priorities are. (This ties in nicely with what Nelson
has been working on, and I think will bring us full-circle just in time
to think about F14 going forward.)