[fedora-classroom] Extending the fedora classroom to be more than just planned classroom sessions

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 10:44:00 UTC 2012

Hey Kevin, folks,

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 16:43 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:59:07 +0530
> Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > As the subject says, I'm interested in extending the
> fedora-classroom
> > project.
<snip>

> Well, I'm not sure it's too good a fit name/mission wise.
> I think of classrooms as more "here's a teacher and here's a lesson"
> rather than a 'here's a place you can find out more about where to go
> and what to do'

I understand. I was initially thinking of setting up a different
independently channel, which is how this proposal[1] came about.

I noticed that the classroom list isn't used a lot, neither is the
channel, so I thought I'd first see if extending this already in-place
infra would do the job :)

> > One of the questions that you'd probably ask is: what's wrong with
> > folks just joining up the various mailing lists and getting started?
> > Quite a bit:
> > 1. A lot of new contributors aren't sure of what sig they'd like to
> > start in. IMO, it would be helpful if some of the community were
> > available to guide them and help them make a decision
> > 2. The various mailing lists are dedicated to work. They're not
> really
> > meant for mentoring purposes. We wouldn't like a flood of potential
> > contributors emailing the lists asking for guidance.
> > 3. We also have askfedora and the user mailing lists. However, I
> feel
> > these are dedicated to troubleshooting.
>
> I agree.

Great :)

> > So, what d'ya folks think? :)
>
> Well, I wonder if this couldn't be more a 'fedora welcome' or
> 'information desk' or something. I guess it doesn't matter what it's
> called...

Aye. However, I'd prefer we have an informal name. It doesn't matter to
us really, but a fun, informal name would help new comers IMO.
Gnome-love sounds good, I'm sure we can think up something similar.

fedora-friends
fedora-join
fedora-join-us
fedora-newbies
new-to-fedora/new-2-fedora
fedstart
fedora-start
fedora-???

Any fun names? Maybe I can nudge the marketing/design/ambassador lists
for more?

> Basically a place we could point anyone who says they want to give
> back
> and join up, then they could ask questions and get an idea of where to
> go and who to talk to before just wandering around.
>
> I like the idea, but not sure how much it overlaps with classrooms.

I agree. I just thought that the new infra we're setting up is about
guiding folks, and it's what the classroom lists etc are broadly set up
to do :)

So, you think we should set up a completely separate list and IRC
channel for this then? Another "fedora $fun-name SIG" sort of thing?

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Please only print if necessary.