fedora 13 ami/aki?

Marek Goldmann mgoldman at redhat.com
Wed Aug 4 06:50:14 UTC 2010

Hi Adam,

I'm the lead of BoxGrinder [1] project, which could help you a lot. The goal is to make appliances (for AWS too) from _simple_ definitions. If you want to have a kickstart based solution, you need to wait for the instructions.

On 2010-08-04, at 00:00, Adam Back wrote:

> I looked at the meeting minutes posted recently and list archive, but it
> still unclear to me:
>
> could someone give an indication of the scale of work to have a fedora 13
> available as an EC2 AMI/AKI?

Using BoxGrinder it is as follows:

# it will pull required gems
gem install boxgrinder-build-fedora-os-plugin boxgrinder-build-ec2-platform-plugin boxgrinder-build-s3-delivery-plugin

# required packages on fedora
yum install appliance-tools yum-utils ruby-libguestfs parted e2fsprogs rsync wget util-linux-ng

# you need to have also ec2-ami-tools package
rpm -Uvh http://s3.amazonaws.com/ec2-downloads/ec2-ami-tools.noarch.rpm

Put in a file called 'jeos-f13.appl' this definition:

	http://github.com/stormgrind/stormfolio/raw/master/appliances/jeos-f13.appl

And run:

boxgrinder-build jeos-f13.appl -p ec2 -d ami

This will build the appliance, convert to EC2 format, bundle it, upload and register as AMI in AWS.

You need also configure one file ~/.boxgrinder/plugins/s3. Instructions available here:

	http://community.jboss.org/wiki/BoxGrinderBuildPluginsDeliveryS3

> Is there a dependency on the AWS team to get a
> suitable AKI built to enable this?  Any AWS team members able to comment on
> the eta for a suitable AKI?

There is no need to have AKI/ARI combination for AWS. AWS uses pvgrun which enables us to use our own (shipped in AMI) kernel.

I built (with steps described above) AMI for i386 and x86_64 and you can use it now:

32 bit: ami-48d93221
64 bit: ami-4cd93225

> I would like to use latest stable fedora under EC2 but the situation with
> FC8 being the latest makes that difficult.  Its long outside of its security
> lifecycle and quite old which creates its own problems other than the
> security issue!

Yah, it was a pain. Fortunately we have now F13 on AWS.

HTH

[1] http://www.jboss.org/stormgrind/projects/boxgrinder.html

--Marek