custom (ebs backed) Fedora 14 AMIs

Marek Goldmann mgoldman at redhat.com
Sat Dec 4 06:51:18 UTC 2010

Hi Brian,

Good writeup!

From my side I propose to use BoxGrinder, and you'll have 2 simple steps:

1. Create appliance definition file (f13-jeos.appl):

name: f13-jeos
summary: Just Enough Operating System based on Fedora 13
os:
  name: fedora
  version: 13
hardware:
  partitions:
    "/":
      size: 2
packages:
  includes:
    - @core

2. Run BoxGrinder:

	boxgrinder-build f13-jeos.appl -p ec2 -d ebs

That's all. It'll build the appliance, convert to EC2 format, create volume, make snapshot, rsync files and finally register the snapshot as AMI. Of course you need to run it on an EC2 instance to have it available. You can use our meta-appliances to do the build: http://www.jboss.org/boxgrinder/downloads/build/meta-appliance .

HTH

--Marek