default size of root fs

Brian LaMere brian at cukerinteractive.com
Mon Dec 6 19:47:33 UTC 2010

breaking apart the partitions isn't exclusive to BSD, it's considered
mandatory best-practices in all UNIX systems.  Heck, the DoD *mandates* it.

But...the "cloud" isn't the same.  One of the most dangerous things one can
do is create the perception of security; it's one of the problems I have
with the naked-pic cancer machines; a dog and a metal detector would be
infinitely more effective, and less obtrusive, but doesn't look as cool as a
machine that sees through your clothes.  The false sense of security is
*dangerous*.

S3-backed images are using S3...there aren't real "partitions" anyway.  It's
all http requests to a massive web server, that just handles
put/post/delete/head/etc requests.  It's not discrete storage.  One
shouldn't consider that it's "secure," nor should one worry about breaking
apart "partitions" for performance reasons when using S3.  There's really,
in the end, no reason to have more than a single volume for an S3-backed
instance.

"cloud" is a different paradigm, and it's important to not try to shoe-horn
old-school best-practices on to the new platforms that are, really, not at
all the same.

That said - an EBS is a SAN-like interface, from my understanding.  It is
(supposedly) a discrete-ish volume specific to you.  You can even encrypt
it, with barely any more overhead than a normal encrypted SAN device would
have.  So yes - break apart the volumes for an EBS-backed instance.  Amazon
actually recommends this - because it spreads out the I/O.  If you create 2
volumes, they won't be in the same SAN, which through usage normalization
means your spikes won't line up with other people's spikes, and you can
distribute those high-impact periods.  EBS-backed instances are a bit less
"cloud" like, and somewhat more like what people are used to.

Oh, while we're on the subject - NEVER use S3 for swap.  You're better out
running out of ram than trying to swap to a web server somewhere else -
think about it :)

Brian