default size of root fs

István leccine at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:02:57 UTC 2010

Heh we started a nice offtopic thread it seems...

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Brian LaMere <brian at cukerinteractive.com>wrote:

> breaking apart the partitions isn't exclusive to BSD, it's considered
> mandatory best-practices in all UNIX systems.  Heck, the DoD *mandates* it.
>
> sure thing,

any advanced unix-like clone supports and recommends that -except linux :) -

> But...the "cloud" isn't the same.  One of the most dangerous things one can
> do is create the perception of security; it's one of the problems I have
> with the naked-pic cancer machines; a dog and a metal detector would be
> infinitely more effective, and less obtrusive, but doesn't look as cool as a
> machine that sees through your clothes.  The false sense of security is
> *dangerous*.

agreed, but to skip one layer of security because it is not the saint grail
it not a smart move. I was catching many automatic attacks with /tmp  folder
with noexec flag on them, it just helps to avoid a mass deface attack but
you are right it wont stop chuck norris....

> S3-backed images are using S3...there aren't real "partitions" anyway.
>  It's all http requests to a massive web server, that just handles
> put/post/delete/head/etc requests.  It's not discrete storage.  One
> shouldn't consider that it's "secure," nor should one worry about breaking
> apart "partitions" for performance reasons when using S3.  There's really,
> in the end, no reason to have more than a single volume for an S3-backed
> instance.

well this is not the case. S3 is used to store the linux image and during
the instance creation the system downloads the image and creates a local
copy of it and the FS is created on the local hard drives. S3 is not
suitable to store you root filesystem and operates a running system from
there for multiple reasons(one is latency)

EBS is a different story, it was designed to be used like a backed for
operating systems but there is no HTTP involved

the sun shines for all

http://blog.l1x.me