Cloud projects inside of RedHat

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 01:48:16 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 12:54 AM, Chris Lalancette wrote:

>>> Hm, OK.  It's a really good question, it should work.  Questions:
>>>
>>> 1)  When you do the installs that succeed, do you use the virbr0 bridge, or do
>>> you have a real bridge that you typically use?
>>   Yes, I do have a real bridge(br0) on my laptop.
>>
>> That's my current bridge configuration.
>> -----------------------
>> kashyap@~$ brctl show
>> bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
>> br0		8000.001f16114aca	no		eth0
>> virbr0		8000.000000000000	yes
>> virbr1		8000.000000000000	yes
>> kashyap@~$
>> ----------------------
>> But, I also tried it on a different machine wich has the default
>> virbr0( something like below) to no avail.
>> -------------------
>> [kashyap at foobar ~]# brctl show
>> bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
>> virbr0		8000.000000000000	yes
>> [kashyap at foobar ~]#
>> -------------------
>>
>> Currently oz always uses the
>>> virbr0 bridge, and I'm wondering if there is some kind of firewall rule that
>>> is preventing it from getting out to the network.
>>
>> I have my 'iptables' turned off. (In both instances above)
>>
>>> 2)  What is your host system?  Fedora 13?  Fedora 14?  Something else?
>>
>> F14(newest updated); x86_64. Lenovo X200.
>>>
>>> I'll try to reproduce this locally and see what happens.
>
> OK, it works fine for me locally.  I can only guess that there is a rule or
> something that is not properly setup for you.  So let me get a bit information
> from you:
>
> 1)  brctl showstp virbr0
[root at foobar ~]# brctl showstp virbr0
virbr0
  bridge id		8000.000000000000
  designated root	8000.000000000000
  root port		   0			path cost		   0
  max age		  19.99			bridge max age		  19.99
  hello time		   1.99			bridge hello time	   1.99
  forward delay		   0.00			bridge forward delay	   0.00
  ageing time		 299.95
  hello timer		   1.91			tcn timer		   0.00
  topology change timer	   0.00			gc timer		 171.87
  flags
> 2)  iptables -L ; iptables -t nat -L
[root at foobar ~]#  iptables -L ; iptables -t nat -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
[root at foobar ~]#
> 3)  cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
[root at foobar ~]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
1
[root at foobar ~]#
[root at foobar export]# cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
[root at foobar export]#
[root at foobar export]# rpm -q oz python-libguestfs libvirt-python libxml2-python
oz-0.0.4-1.x86_64
python-libguestfs-1.6.2-1.fc14.4.x86_64
libvirt-python-0.8.3-2.fc14.x86_64
libxml2-python-2.7.7-2.fc14.x86_64
[root at foobar export]#

> If it is indeed something to do with iptables (as I suspect), then the
> following *might* help out:
>
> $ sudo virsh net-destroy default
> $ sudo virsh net-start default

hm, I tried this, and re-ran oz-install, as of now, it is on it's way to getting timed out..