Eucalyptus

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Mon Feb 1 22:24:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:45:29 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 05:17:34PM -0800, graziano obertelli wrote:

> > I'm part of the Eucalyptus team: we would love to see Eucalyptus in Fedora
> > Core. What can we do to help? We do already provide RPMs, albeit not for
> > Fedora Core yet, which I'm sure are not ready to be included in any
> > distribution, and we know of some of our users already using Eucalyptus in
> > Fedora Core. Do you think Eucalyptus will fit in your cloud initiative?
>
> We're using Eucalyptus on CentOS here at Harvard. I'm very interested in
> getting good packages for Fedora and EPEL.

About that... Has the policy stated in Eucalyptus FAQ changed?
Right now it states:

  Q: Can I help develop Eucalyptus?

  A: For the moment, we are restricting external development contributions
  for Eucalyptus internals to bug fixes. It is just too complicated to try
  and keep the code base stable with external developers when we are in
  this early phase of development. But we will gladly accept patches that
  fix bugs. [...]

Maybe Ubuntu people never do any development on the packages they ship,
but I am not comfortable with an upstream like that. Of course, I am
not even likely to maintain the package either, and some other maintainer
might be. Still, I'm curious what are the perspectives of the open
development for Eucalyptus.

-- Pete