Eucalyptus

graziano obertelli graziano at eucalyptus.com
Mon Feb 1 22:50:09 UTC 2010

Hello,

thanks for the quick reply!

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 02:02:29PM +0800, Harish Pillay wrote:
> Graziano -
>
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM, graziano obertelli
> <graziano at eucalyptus.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm part of the Eucalyptus team: we would love to see Eucalyptus in Fedora
> > Core. What can we do to help? We do already provide RPMs, albeit not for
> > Fedora Core yet, which I'm sure are not ready to be included in any
> > distribution, and we know of some of our users already using Eucalyptus in
> > Fedora Core. Do you think Eucalyptus will fit in your cloud initiative?
>
> Good to see the Eucalyptus team keen to work on this with the Fedora
> community.  Perhaps you should look at:
>        https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Committee
> to understand what needs to be done to add a package to Fedora.  FYI,
> the use of the terms "Fedora Core" ended when Fedora 7 was released and
> it is referred to just a Fedora <version number>.  The current released
> version is Fedora 12.

Shame on me: when the cave-man were clubbing each other, I switched from
slackware (floppy install back then) to debian and never moved since. I
did know Fedora <version>, but my finger failed me :)

> If you would start exploring the www.fedoraproject.org site and the URL
> above to see how to get a package into Fedora, that would be great. I think
> we should shoot for Fedora 14 - which I reckon would be out by November
> 2010.

That would be fantastic! The problem what we have is that we sit on top of
a fairly big stack of other projects (which of course made Eucalyptus
doable) which are not packaged. We did try to provide some basic packages
for the one we felt we could take a stab at (in particular axis2c and
rampartc) but the packages are not official from upstream, nor we did a
very good job (they are packaged to ease the installation or Eucalyptus).
Also we don't have expertise to package the java projects we need.

As you may know we are in ubuntu and we are in the process of getting into
debian: this was possible becasue ubuntu helped up in the packaging effort
and in packaging the dependencies. We hopefully know a bit more about
packaging, but we still need to have our dependencies packaged. What is
the best course of action here?

cheers
graziano