Eucalyptus

graziano obertelli graziano at eucalyptus.com
Mon Feb 1 23:14:16 UTC 2010

Hello Pete,

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 03:24:04PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:45:29 -0500
> Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 05:17:34PM -0800, graziano obertelli wrote:
>
> > > I'm part of the Eucalyptus team: we would love to see Eucalyptus in Fedora
> > > Core. What can we do to help? We do already provide RPMs, albeit not for
> > > Fedora Core yet, which I'm sure are not ready to be included in any
> > > distribution, and we know of some of our users already using Eucalyptus in
> > > Fedora Core. Do you think Eucalyptus will fit in your cloud initiative?
> >
> > We're using Eucalyptus on CentOS here at Harvard. I'm very interested in
> > getting good packages for Fedora and EPEL.
>
> About that... Has the policy stated in Eucalyptus FAQ changed?
> Right now it states:
>
>   Q: Can I help develop Eucalyptus?
>
>   A: For the moment, we are restricting external development contributions
>   for Eucalyptus internals to bug fixes. It is just too complicated to try
>   and keep the code base stable with external developers when we are in
>   this early phase of development. But we will gladly accept patches that
>   fix bugs. [...]
>
> Maybe Ubuntu people never do any development on the packages they ship,
> but I am not comfortable with an upstream like that. Of course, I am
> not even likely to maintain the package either, and some other maintainer
> might be. Still, I'm curious what are the perspectives of the open
> development for Eucalyptus.

We are releasing rc1 for 1.6.2 and we are hoping to have 1.6.2 out by the
end of February or beginning of March. We consider the code of 1.6.2 to be
stable, and so we are going to accept contributions. We are still learning
what's the best way to do so (which means that suggestions are welcomed :)
but we are ramping up our internal automatic Q&A which will make it easier
to accept patches to the core of Eucalyptus.

The FAQ and our policy will then change when 1.6.2 is out and then
Eucalyptus will accept contributions for all its code.

Is this acceptable to you?  We internally talked about opening the code
right now, but we prefer to focus on Q&A, testing and upgrade path so
we decided to get 1.6.2 out first.

cheers
graziano

--