Status of EC2 AMIs for Fedora 12 and beyond?

Marek Goldmann mgoldman at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 09:22:57 UTC 2010

Hi all,

On 2010-02-02, at 04:11, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> My $0.02: seems like thincrust might be a good place to start.  Red Hat
> folks have been working on it for a while, and I've liked my initial
> experiences with it.  It's dead easy to go from kickstart file to virtual
> image, and they've also got a tool called ec2-converter that allegedly
> sets up AMI images that are ready for upload.  Maybe the place to start is
> to take a current spin and walk down the path of turning it into an AMI,
> and see how far we get.  (Copying Joey Boggs, who is the maintainer of
> ec2-converter: any advice?  Gotchas?)

I was using ec2-converter earlier but it doesn't work now (for example no support for x86_64).

We're at JBoss are creating a tool called BoxGrinder.

	http://www.jboss.org/stormgrind/projects/boxgrinder.html

Documentation:

	http://community.jboss.org/wiki/StormGrindBoxGrinderDocumentation

We fixed all ec2-converter problems. More, we're creating appliances from simpler files (still utilizing appliance-creator from Thincrust):

	http://community.jboss.org/wiki/StormGrindApplianceDefinitionFile

Building an appliance is as simple as executing:

	rake appliance:httpd:ec2

You can also upload it to your bucket and register with your AWS account:

	rake appliance:httpd:ec2:register

We're hanging in #stormgrind on freenode if you have any questions. Of course we're not packaged in Fedora...

> The goal should be to have a handful of F13 AMIs very shortly after the
> F13 release.

Great! I'm really interested in this!

--Marek