Eucalyptus euca2ools RPM -- hey, it's done!

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 2 22:00:49 UTC 2010

Hi, folks!

I'm waiting on a new release of python-fedora before euca2ools can
make it into cvs, but of course if we need some RPMs for Fedora in the
mean time they are certainly buildable.  Making things work on CentOS
will be a bit trickier due to the old Python version, of course, but
if necessary someone could build a repo with the needed Python 2.6 or
2.5 packages.

The euca2ools package that upstream publishes has no chance of working
on Fedora for several reasons:
 * It assumes everything with /etc/redhat-release is CentOS and
hardcodes everything for Python 2.5, which breaks both Fedora >= 10
and any CentOS installations that use 2.6 instead.
 * It bundles python-boto and m2crypto, which are already in Fedora and EPEL.
 * It hardcodes the locations of Python library directories when it
should have Python determine those by itself like the packaging
guidelines desrcibe.

For these reasons I wrote Fedora's euca2ools spec file from scratch.
It ought to be fairly simple to make it work on CentOS by having an
optional "%global python_version" at the top of the spec file and
having that reset the __python variable and any versioned Requires
that are necessary.  While I have not looked at the rest of eucalyptus
yet, I suspect much of the same methodology will help clean things up
tremendously and still remain portable.