Cloud SIG meeting minutes - 2010/07/01

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 22:05:17 UTC 2010

Thanks to everyone for coming. Please read logs - we've made some
progress on the kernel situation, and are starting to think about
future needs in terms of a to-do list as well as documentation. Any
questions - please pipe up on the mailing list!

Cheers,
-robyn

Meeting Minutes:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-07-01/fedora_cloud_sig.2010-07-01-21.01.html
Full Log: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-07-01/fedora_cloud_sig.2010-07-01-21.01.log.html

==========================
#fedora-meeting: Cloud SIG
==========================

Meeting started by jforbes at 21:01:18 UTC. The full logs are available
at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-07-01/fedora_cloud_sig.2010-07-01-21.01.log.html
.

Meeting summary
    (rbergeron, 21:04:44)
  * ke4qqq waiting on amazon for info on testing costs for getting a
    block of people access without having to use their own accounts
    (rbergeron, 21:06:00)
  * jforbes on track to submit for F14 feature list  (rbergeron,
    21:07:14)
  * got news from amazon -  Namely
    ec2-public-images/pv-grub-hd00-V1.01-x86_64.gz  (rbergeron,
    21:07:27)
  * EC2 pvgrub images are now public and accessible  (rbergeron,
    21:07:38)
  * now we don't need to submit AKI and ARIs anymore, we use the kernel
    inside the image.  (rbergeron, 21:08:45)
  * ACTION: jforbes to ping gholms about eucatools <--> kernel <-->
    pvgrub image  (rbergeron, 21:15:04)
  * jeevan_ullas sent mail to the list with some packaging information
    for eucalyptus, other possible packages / dependencies we might want
    to start thinking about / looking for packagers for.  (rbergeron,
    21:16:14)
  * ACTION: jeevan_ullas to make a wiki page of to-dos for eucalyptus
    (rbergeron, 21:17:29)

* kernel status  (rbergeron, 21:17:59)
  * We are still waiting for the kernel update to push.  (rbergeron,
    21:19:05)
  * trying to get an eta.  (rbergeron, 21:19:11)
  * LINK: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FeatureList   (rbergeron,
    21:20:43)
  * ACTION: jforbes to submit to [[FeatureList]] this week now that we
    have pvgrub info  (rbergeron, 21:22:02)

* open floor  (rbergeron, 21:29:35)

* To Do / Schedule List  (rbergeron, 21:29:57)
  * so after the kernel is pushed, we need the actual images,  which is
    the ks file that huff is working on  (rbergeron, 21:31:20)
  * can start working on that now with local xen testing - the kernel
    update makes our kernel work on older RHEL releases, but we can test
    and tune the ks file on rhel 5.3 or newer hosts  (rbergeron,
    21:31:50)
  * Testing without ec2 requires a xen host  (rbergeron, 21:33:49)
  * once you have a xen host, you can simply create an image with
    appliance-tools using the kickstart file from huff (it is in a
    public repository, need to find location)  (rbergeron, 21:34:18)
  * boot the image, make sure it works, make sure critical packages are
    there, report back if anything else is needed or something doesn't
    work  (rbergeron, 21:34:32)
  * report back if things work tooo  (rbergeron, 21:34:43)
  * ACTION: rbergeron to put this testing info into the wiki
    (rbergeron, 21:35:11)
  * ACTION: rbergeron to start framing todo list on the wiki
    (rbergeron, 21:35:18)
  * LINK:
    http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/blob/master/fedora-ec2-min.ks
    (jforbes, 21:35:48)
  * LINK:
    http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/blob/master/fedora-ec2-min.ks
    (rbergeron, 21:36:06)
  * LINK: http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/ is the top level
    (jforbes, 21:36:59)
  * LINK: http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/ is the top level
    (rbergeron, 21:37:14)
  * ACTION: jforbes to get with huff and get
    http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/blob/master/fedora-ec2-min.ks
    updated to F13  (rbergeron, 21:38:16)
  * ACTION: sparks to create basic wiki page for publishing images to
    EC2 documentation  (rbergeron, 21:49:47)
  * ACTION: jforbes to pstart populating with basic information as time
    allows  (rbergeron, 21:50:35)
  * LINK: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Publishing_image_to_EC2
    (Sparks, 21:50:56)
  * ACTION: sparks to talk to ke4qqq (he'll be under the bus) - get some
    more background on cloud stuff, what's going on, etc.  (rbergeron,
    21:51:37)
  * ACTION: rbergeron to take a typing class from mavis beacon
    (rbergeron, 21:51:47)

Meeting ended at 21:59:27 UTC.

Action Items
------------
* jforbes to ping gholms about eucatools <--> kernel <--> pvgrub image
* jeevan_ullas to make a wiki page of to-dos for eucalyptus
* jforbes to submit to [[FeatureList]] this week now that we have pvgrub
  info
* rbergeron to put this testing info into the wiki
* rbergeron to start framing todo list on the wiki
* jforbes to get with huff and get
  http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/blob/master/fedora-ec2-min.ks
  updated to F13
* sparks to create basic wiki page for publishing images to EC2
  documentation
* jforbes to pstart populating with basic information as time allows
* sparks to talk to ke4qqq (he'll be under the bus) - get some more
  background on cloud stuff, what's going on, etc.
* rbergeron to take a typing class from mavis beacon

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* jeevan_ullas
  * jeevan_ullas to make a wiki page of to-dos for eucalyptus
* jforbes
  * jforbes to ping gholms about eucatools <--> kernel <--> pvgrub image
  * jforbes to submit to [[FeatureList]] this week now that we have
    pvgrub info
  * jforbes to get with huff and get
    http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/blob/master/fedora-ec2-min.ks
    updated to F13
  * jforbes to pstart populating with basic information as time allows
* ke4qqq
  * sparks to talk to ke4qqq (he'll be under the bus) - get some more
    background on cloud stuff, what's going on, etc.
* rbergeron
  * rbergeron to put this testing info into the wiki
  * rbergeron to start framing todo list on the wiki
  * rbergeron to take a typing class from mavis beacon
* **UNASSIGNED**
  * sparks to create basic wiki page for publishing images to EC2
    documentation

People Present (lines said)
* rbergeron (142)
* jforbes (58)