ebs-boot, pv-grub, made easy?

Brian LaMere brian at cukerinteractive.com
Fri Jul 30 22:06:36 UTC 2010

http://github.com/dazed1/pvgrub2ebs

For those who are afraid to use a public image because they don't know where
the image has been...

I'm sure I did several things in a very silly, unreasonable way.  That's
fine.  I was using a fed13 image I made that used the Ubuntu AKI before;
spent part of the last couple days getting this working.  Follow the simple
instructions and you too can have an ebs-backed, pv-grub'd instance built
how you want it (just look for the yum --installroot=/mnt/chroot lines, add
what you want).

I'm absolutely positive that others have much, much more mature setup tools
avail for doing the same thing, but someone might find this useful anyway.
And a hat tip to Justin for pointing me to his AMI to peek at, which tipped
me off to the xvda device.  I'll be adding a couple other updates to the git
repo, but realistically...it's just for creating an ami, and once that ami
is created one should just use that ami over and over until you need a new
ami.  So the tool doesn't need to be /too/ sexy, just functional.

Brian LaMere