"default virt server"

Jeremy Katz katzj at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 1 02:17:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 2:21 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with most of the above but I don't really see that this, AOS or a
> minimal (minimum?) install should be any different, and even the Amazon
> image should only add EC2 stuff on top of that so should be able to include
> this .ks and add a few pacakges and what ever scripting is needed for the
> ec2 images.

The problem with the whole AOS/jeos/minimal OS idea is that it's a
race to the bottom.  There's this whole sub-culture of "let's see just
how tiny we can make it because *clearly* it's easier to add things
than remove them" when the end result of that is just a kernel and a
shell.

I don't know, I just don't find that interesting or useful[1].  I'd
rather actually have utilities and the things I'd expect to find on a
Fedora system and not have to play games downloading packages for ages
and paying the bandwidth charges to do so as well.

- Jeremy

[1] I guess there is a small set of cases where resources really are
constrained enough that it matters.  But even in many of those cases,
what becomes eventually apparent is that some push back instead on the
constraint leads to a better end result for everyone.