"default virt server"

Jeremy Katz katzj at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 1 17:04:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:38 AM, David Huff <dhuff at redhat.com> wrote:
> I never said mine was perfect, however a good starting point for this
> type of discussion, which I have been wanting to have for a long time.

Yep, it's good to be having the discussion

> When we started the AOS (like 2 years ago) the base requirements were
> basically: DHCP, sshd, yum, and selinux (which was disabled in EC2 due
> to issues w/ their infrastructure).

Since we're going to be using our own kernels, we can definitely use
SELinux now as our kernels have it enabled.  And I don't think that
going with @base (which we consider to be a "base" Fedora system)
actually hurts things.

> ACPI was explicitly added, as Garrett noted, for the VM's to restart
> correctly, remembered EC2 is Xen biased, however this may not be
> necessary any longer.

You need something to listen to the ACPI events, but that's something
devicekit-y for any other Fedora system, not acpid.  We should be
doing the same here probably.  And this is where the extremely minimal
approach of the original AOS kickstart falls down.  By trying to
hand-pick every single component to get the smallest size rather than
using the default groupings that are made available in Fedora, those
hand-picked components have to be constantly updated to reflect
changes in the OS.

Another area you see this, for example, is that the config still uses
mkinitrd instead of dracut to build the initramfs.

- Jeremy