Other cloud providers - Fedora on things other than EC2 + marketing

Stephen Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Nov 3 00:08:22 UTC 2010

On 11/03/2010 09:39 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> rackerhacker (who, for the record, is a Rackspace employee, as well as
> a Fedora fan :D) pinged me on IRC and talked to a few other people as
> well about the idea of marketing not just Fedora on EC2, but also
> Fedora on $otherproviders as well.  I think we all can agree that
> while getting things up on EC2 (thanks, Justin!!) was an important
> first step, but there are obviously other providers out there as well,
> including some that already have F14 available for their customers -
> and it's certainly a place where we can benefit from advertising as
> well.

I think it's important that we are able to demonstrate availability on
as many of the major platforms as possible. It's mutually beneficial as
it can help to increase cloud take-up for providers as well as uptake of
Fedora.

> I know that this past time around, having Fedora on EC2 was an actual
> feature.  Going forward, do we want to have that as a feature that is
> more general - such as Fedora on Many Providers? Or do we want to take
> the opportunity to talk about things in an interim fashion *now* and
> maybe do something such as a press piece talking about Fedora on
> Rackspace (or any other provider, heck, I'd be happy to keep talking
> it up for months)?  Or perhaps both is a good idea?

I think that instructional content for running Fedora on rackspace would
be a candidate for inclusion in the cloud guide which Sparks sent out a
feeler about a few weeks ago. I believe EC2 and openstack as well as
some more general cloud overview content were already highlighted as
potential topics for said guide.

Perhaps rackerhacker can provide some information that would assist with
this?

> Looking for your thoughts! I'll also add it to this week's meeting agenda.

Will make an effort to be present in case I can assist in some way with
the above efforts. I think if I've got the conversion right these are at
7am Friday my time which isn't too abhorrent.