Converting the default instance store Fedora 14 to EBS

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 3 15:36:19 UTC 2010

Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 08:16:03AM -0500, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
>> They are, and they should be working.  If I had to guess, I would say you
>> are trying to log in as root?  You cannot do that.  Log in as ec2-user and
>> you have full sudo access.  This goes with the Amazon documentation as
>> well.  The full list of official images is being maintained at:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG/EC2_Images
>>
>> Unfortunately it takes a bit of time for Amazon to make the public image
>> links available, which will give us a bit more visibility as well.
>
> I got the ami-e291668b running.
>
> As the EBS AMIs are not yet available, I'd like to convert this
> instance to EBS backed instance, following roughly the steps in
> http://gnuyoga.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/ec2-instance-store-to-ebs-boot/
>
> However, when I try to attach the newly created volume to my instance
> I either get
>
> 	Client.InvalidParameterValue: Value (/dev/xvdd) for parameter device is invalid. /dev/xvdd is not a valid EBS device name.
>
> when I try to use some /dev/xvd* device name, or I use -d /dev/sda
> and the ec2-attach-volume finishes fine but the device /dev/sda does
> not come to life.

euca2ools aims to be an open source drop-in replacement for most of
ec2-*-tools.  While you folks are working with your images, please try
installing the euca2ools package and running euca-attach-volume instead
of ec2-attach-volume, euca-run-instances instead of ec2-run-instances,
and so forth so we can get things working without needing to install
proprietary bits from Amazon.